Wednesday, October 29, 2008

the human brain

first keynote - true to educause form - was scary the world you live in isn't one you recognise stuff - this time with the emphasis on the human brain and neurology. The speaker was great, really entertaining and clearly very knowledgeable. Not something that is easily captured on a blog but if you ask me f2f I'm sure I can bore you with how to solve pain issues in the phantom limbs of amputees with a $4 mirror, what happens to your skin when you see your mother that doesn't happen when you see a chair, how we can all read the martian alphabet and why people with synesthesia make better artists and poets.

Questions welcome but answers may be...er...limited

2 comments:

gs said...

"i don't know what happened, doctor" said louise. "it all started off innocently enough, with visits to art museums every now and again, but then it became like an addiction. things started to go horribly wrong in amsterdam. i think it was the synesthetic installation that did it."
"ah, of course" nodded the doctor conspiratorially, "there does seem to be something in the - lets say 'air' - in amsterdam that does scary things to the brain."
louise felt reassured, but still had an inexplicable feeling of paranoia around enclosed spaces

Paul Helm said...

I thought I had wondered into the wrong convention at first, but then my phantom leg started playing up and I had to sit down. I was lucky in the sense that my real leg was reflected in a glass panel next to me, so I could pay attention to the phantom powerpoint presentation, and very strange phantom collar of the speaker. This was a weird keynote - entertaining but weird, and the start of a very long day. gosh how my phantom limbs ache.